Saturday, November 14, 2009
We're Home!!!
We arrived at Children's at 5:30 am to a crowded waiting full of children running around everywhere screaming and riding tricycles. It was way too early for all of that noise. All the commotion woke Jane Baird up and I was highly aggravated b/c she was hungry and I couldn't feed her so I wanted her to sleep!
Before surgery, we were sent to a little private "holding" room. We were in there for a couple of hours while we waited for the nurse to come and get her for surgery. We got lots of good cuddling time with Jane Baird. All three of us were exhausted b/c we went to bed late the night before and had to get up at 4:30 am but we made the most of every minute we had with each other before surgery. We had to push surgery to the back of our minds so we could enjoy our time.
While we were in the little holding room, we were informed that they would have to come and get another blood sample from her b/c the other sample that was collected last week ruined somehow. They assured me that nothing was wrong with her blood, but the red blood cells fell apart or something like that. We were so upset that she had to go through that AGAIN! She was such a big girl as usual...only a few tears. A few minutes later she was pulling her Bugsbunny bandaid off her arm.
A few minutes before Ashley came to get Jane Baird for surgery, one of the doctors came in to mark her back where the incision would be made. I think its a new law or something.
While we were in the little holding room, we were informed that they would have to come and get another blood sample from her b/c the other sample that was collected last week ruined somehow. They assured me that nothing was wrong with her blood, but the red blood cells fell apart or something like that. We were so upset that she had to go through that AGAIN! She was such a big girl as usual...only a few tears. A few minutes later she was pulling her Bugsbunny bandaid off her arm.
A few minutes before Ashley came to get Jane Baird for surgery, one of the doctors came in to mark her back where the incision would be made. I think its a new law or something. Anyway the doctor (he was the resident that was assisting Dr. Rozelle) drew the letters "MF" on her back. I thought that was kind of strange...he marked in the right spot but the procedure didn't start with "M" or "F." Later I found out that those were the dude's initials. Duh, Meredith!
Ashley, one of the OR nurses has come to get Jane Baird for every surgery she has had since July. She's usually not assigned to Jane Baird, but whenever she sees her name on the schedule she always asks her supervisor to be the one to come and get her. I was hoping that we would see Ashley this time and we were tickled when she walked through the door. Its so hard to hand your baby over for surgery but Ashley is wonderful and loves Jane Baird and Jane Baird loves Ashley!
These pics were taken in the recovery room immediately after surgery. She was very puffy and needed a little oxygen. Normally, parents do not go in the recovery room, but since our room wasn't ready yet, let let us spend time with her in recovery. The recovery nurses were extremely caring and loving (unlike those on the 4th floor!). We sat with Jane baird in the recovery room for a couple of hours while we waited on our room. We were so disappointed when we found out we were going to be on the 4th floor West.
We were not allowed to sit Jane Baird up until this morning. We could roll her onto her back either. That made changing diapers a very difficult task. We couldn't lift her bottom so we did the best we could. Her diapers kept leaking onto her bed sheets so I had to change them several times by myself. (Our lazy nurses were too busy to help me. Normally Alan would have helped me, but I took the night shift and he took the early morning shift). When her gown got wet this morning, we just wrapped her in a blanket for a little while. We couldn't bare moving her around to put clothes on her...she was pitiful this morning!
We were finally getting some smiles today. We were told that we could sit her up this morning around 8:00. She didn't like it too much at first, but we had to try our best to get her in a comfortable position. After a few minutes she got comfortable sitting up and sat up in our laps most of the morning.
Finally around 2:00 we were discharged. Jane Baird was in a ton of pain when we first put her in her carseat. She cried and Alan and I felt so bad for her. I can't imagine how sore she must be...all she is getting is Tylenol and Motrin. She quickly pushed through the pain and put on her happy face. Alan says she is tough like her mommy...I have to agree with him :) We stopped by the Christmas and saw Santa on our way out of the hospital.
We are so glad that the final surgery is over! We had a horrible experience on the 4th floor. The nurses were awful and didn't care to help out at all. I think I deserve part of their paycheck b/c I did their jobs! They only thing they did was brought me a cup of ice twice.
I had to go to the nurses desk about 75 times in 24 hours. They all acted like they knew nothing about caring for a patient with this type of surgery. One of them asked me "Did you bring your own pedilyte form home or do you need to use ours?" Like I am supposed to carry that around in my diaper bag or something. When it was time for her medecine, they handed it to me to give her. One of them even woke me up to give it to her. We were supposed to make sure that she stayed straight on her back for 24 hours on her belly or side. She wasn't supposed to roll onto her back at all. Well I asked one of our nurses how I was going to make sure she didn't roll over in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and she replied "Well, you'll just have to keep an eye on her." I thoguht that was what she was getting paid to do...I think she owes me part of her paycheck for last night. I could go on and on about how terrible the nurses were but I won't...I'll end on a positive note.
I am so thankful that Jane Baird's final surgery is behind us. I am thankful for the doctors that have taken such good care of her and most of all I thank God for blessing our lives with such a special little baby. She brings us joy every second of every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Guys!! It's Ashley! I'm so glad her surgery went well and that ya'll are home! I'm also so happy that I got to pick her up and take her to surgery I just love that baby girl! I laughed when I saw what you wrote about the initials on her back "MF" are the resident's initials and they used to could just put a check mark or line but now they have to put their initials. I'm so sorry you guys had a bad experience on the floor, I was hoping you would be on 6NW. Hopefully, ya'll will never have to be on ANY of the floors again! Anyways I'm praying for you guys and hope ya'll have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Oh and Roll Tide!! Love, Ashley
Here's my email if you ever want or need to contact me! UAnurse03@yahoo.com
Ashley
I am so happy y'all are home and hopefully it is ALL over with. So glad she is doing great. And so sorry you had some terrible nurses. Thankfully, JB has a great mom and dad to watch over her. Imagine if it was a little one who did not! I am praising God with y'all! : )
Post a Comment