Monday, April 6, 2009

Update

Bad case of bedhead! This was the one bottle that I gulped down in 10 minutes
I look so pretty with my hairbow!
Just woke up from a long nap.
Cuddling with mommy
Rocking with my Pops. He is known for his ability to rock any baby to sleep.
Jane Baird had some kind of test or x-ray of her diaphram today and we were very anxious to hear the result. We waited around all day and night and found out nothing. The surgeons and radiologist had a busy day I guess. Our nurse is going to call us if she hears anything tonight.
We were really excited when we talked to one nurse last night that said she didn't see any reason the surgeons would want to keep Jane Baird much longer and that most likely she would get to come home this week. Of course we were so excited to hear that. Today another nurse told us that she would not be discharged if she does not start eating better than she has been.
She is supposed to be able to eat 50 cc in 30 minutes and it is taking her nearly an hour to finish her bottle if she even finishes it. Today Alan and I had to do all sorts of things to try to wake her up and get her to eat. The nurses said to hold her out away from our bodies and not to snuggle with her. They showed us how to put our finger under her chin to remind her to suck. They showed us how to massage her cheeks to get her to suck. None of those techniques worked so we had to take a more drastic approach. We unwrapped her (she loves to be wrapped up) then when that didn't work we undressed her. That didn't work so we changed her diaper. That didn't work so I got a baby wipe and rubbed her down with it (she hates to be wet). I know that all newborns sleep a lot and it's hard to wake them to eat but all babies are not being held captive at Children's Hospital like mine is. (Just kidding about the held captive thing--I know that she is being well cared for and we don't want her to come home until she is well.) If anyone has any tips for feeding a stubborn sleepy baby, please leave me a comment. I'll try anything (within reason).

3 comments:

ashley&christy2001 said...

That's wonderful news, that miss jane Baird is doing so well. She looks very beautiful in the pictures.

Grace Williams said...

Ok, here are a list of things that we tried with Logan (when he lost the 20%: vigorously rub/scratch head-of course not on the soft spots:), massage the jaw near her ears (it makes them swallow), play with her feet, talk to her (Chris would say his name pretty loud and that would sometimes wake him), and move around a lot. I hope one or more of these work for you guys. We did all of the stuff you listed too and it seems like sometimes they worked and sometimes they did not. I hate that they won't let you go until she eats 50cc, but hopefully it won't take long for her to realize she is hungry for that good mama's milk. We are praying. Love y'all!!!

Kathryn said...

Jane Baird is a beautiful baby (which I am sure you totally agree) and I am glad to hear that she is doing good. Hope you are getting some sleep.