Monday, April 5, 2010

Our Day at Chirldren's Hospital

I usually take tons of pics when we go to the doctor, but today I had my hands full! Today was Jane Baird's 6 month appointment with Dr. Georgeson. It was actually supposed to be in February, but it was changed a few times. Anyway I knew I was in for a long day and was dreading it! The morning started off badly. First of all, Jane Baird has a terrible cough and was up from 2am until around 5 am coughing. Neither she nor I got any sleep. My alarm went off at 7 and boy was I tired! We had planned to leave the house no later than 9 and it took every bit of those 2 hours to get both of is ready. We hadn't even gotten out of Jasper when Jane Baird started throwing up as a result of the violent coughing. (Ok, this part is going to be a little gross so if you have a weak stomach or are easily grossed out, skip to the next paragraph...) I looked in the rear view mirror and saw that she was puking up chunks of sour milk. It kind of looked like cottage cheese and it smelt sooooooo bad. Ok, I know that was gross, but the details are necessary to let you know the extent of my bad day... (Jane Baird just started whole milk last week so I am new to all of the sour smells and such) I started to get sick at my stomach. It just kept coming out and I pulled over at the first place I saw. It was too big of a mess to even attempt to clean up so I called the Dr. office and informed them that we would be late and then we headed back to the house for another bath and clean up which was a hideous disaster but I won't go into that. By 9:30 we were again in the car and headed toward B'ham. We made it in time for our 10:45 appointment but Jane Baird was so tired and wasn't able to get one minute's rest on the way over from the coughing. We were both exhausted by the time we got there and had to wait a very long time. I requested another esophagram just to make sure everything was ok so that took a while and Jane Baird does not like being held down so she screamed for 30 minutes over that. We finally made it back down to the clinic to see Dr. G and he looked at the films with us. We got some good news and bad news. The good news is that her esophagus and trachea are not at all connected at any point which means that there is not a fistula! I didn't think there was, but I had to have it checked b/c she has been coughing so much. The bad news is that Jane Baird will be admitted to CHS again for another procedure. She has some narrowing of her esophagus and therefore needs to have it "stretched." Its a common procedure done quite often for various reasons, but its a little trickier with Jane Baird b/c her esophagus is very thin. This is supposed to be a one day procedure, but Dr. G said for us to plan on spending the night just in case. And more bad news... he said that most often it takes several procedures to get the esophagus to the desired width. He is also going to paint some kind of stuff on the inside of her esophagus to try to keep it from narrowing up. We headed home around 3:00 and boy was Jane Baird a sleepy girl! She slept in my arms from the clinic all the way into the parking deck and then in her seat until we got to Fultondale. I hadn't had lunch or anything to drink all day and Jane Baird needed some ice cream at Chick-fil-A ;) We got out for a quick bite and then headed home. What a day! Although my day was pretty rotten overall, it wasn't all bad. I am thankful for my precious baby girl and her health. She made me smile and laugh all day long (when she wasn't coughing or crying). She looked really cute this morning when we arrived at CHS and everyone made a big fuss over her and she knew she was looking good so she was eating all that attention up! She also found some handsome little boys and was the biggest flirt. (She just loves little boys and chases after them). She was so flirty that one little boy climbed up in a chair beside his mommy and pointed at me as if he was telling Jane Baird to go to her mommy. His mom and I just laughed and laughed. She waved at everyone as she went by (we took her new pink car instead of the stroller so she wanted everyone to look her way). I just love that girl!!!

No comments: