Thursday, March 11, 2010

Our trip to the ER

Yesterday at school, Jane Baird's teacher sent me a text to let me know that Jane Baird wasn't feeling well. When I picked her up from school, Jane Baird was sleeping and Mrs. Jenny said that she had slept 4 hours that morning and was still sleeping soundly but she was worried so she woke her up. She ate lunch fine, but would not take her bottle. She wanted another nap so she slept for another 2 hours. That's when I arrived. I picked her up out of her crib and she was sweaty but not at all hot. I mentioned that and Mrs. Jenny said that she was like that earlier too. About 45 mintues later we were at home and Jane Baird wanted yet another nap. I put her in her bed and then grabbed the phone to call the nurse. It was about 4:30 by this time and I knew the office would be closing soon. I told the nurse everything and she was just as concerned as I was. She grabbed the only doctor that was left at the office and told her about everything. That doctor advised us to take her to the Children's Hospital emergency room. They were both thinking that it could possibly be something serious like low or high blood sugars. I got so scared when I heard that so I called Alan and we rushed over to the ER. After waiting at the ER for over 6 hours, we found out good news. Jane Baird is fine. She was wheezing a little so they did a chest X-Ray and her lungs looked clear, however, the doc said it was really too early for pneumonia to set up in her lungs. Basically she has a cold, but the common cold hits her harder than most because of her medical history. Jane Baird stayed with my dad today. She slept a lot but he said she acted like she felt great. She has a horrible cough though and that makes eating difficult. I'm so glad that spring break begins for us at 3:15 tomorrow!!! Jane Baird and I have a very busy week planned, but if she is still feeling bad, we can just be lazy at home together.

No comments: