Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am a huge fan of Dr. Oz. I have read all his books and seen all of his Discovery Health specials. He inspired and motivated me to accomplish some personal goals in 2007. He has a show now and I stay way too busy during the day to watch it most days, but I record it on my DVR and Alan and I watch it at night. I keep note cards beside my bed to take notes b/c the information he gives out is overwhelming. Anyway at the end of his show he tells viewers to tell one person something that they learned on the show and it could save a life.
I have so many blog followers and I love you all so much. I am going to share what I learn from the show with all of you so that it can benefit you or someone that you know and love...please share this with the people you care about!
(I have about 10 episodes on my DVR so I will be updating this post frequently as I clear my DVR. Keep checking back for updates!)
HEALTHY HEART
***To help predict your risk for a heart attack, check your pulse BEFORE getting out of bed each morning. Find your pulse on your wrist and count it for 6 seconds. Whatever number you come up with, multiply it by 10. Your number should be under 75! If your pulse is above 75, your heart isn't squeezing your blood effectively causing it to squeeze faster.
***You need 1000 units of Vitamin D each day
***2 baby aspirin each day not only thins the blood, but is also effective in reducing inflammation in the arteries.
Mediterranean Diet
***This is believed to be the healthiest diet in the world. People live longer here than any place else in the world. There is 50% less heart disease, 20% lower cancer rates, and almost NO dementia!
FLU
***Wash hands for at least 20 seconds (sing "Happy Birthday" twice) and wash often!
***Get a seasonal flu shot. Many pharmacies are giving them for free (don't know about here in Jasper)
*** ASAFOETIDA also know as Devil's Dung b/c of the way it smells, is believed to have an antiviral effect. It was used during the 1800's during a flu outbreak. This is currently being studied and can be found at health food stores.
5 Deadly Medicine Mistakes
1. Mixing up pills that look alike or that sound alike.
1400 drugs have similar names...25% of people taking medication make this mistake.
2.Taking medications in the wrong dose
This is the 2nd leading cause of unintentional deaths. The liver can detoxify almost anything if it has enough time. If you overwhelm it with lots of chemicals, it can't keep up. This is common with Acetaminophen! Acetaminophen is the #1 cause for acute liver failure in the country!!!
3. Taking medications with the wrong foods
Example: Leafy green veggies bring Vitamin K into your system. If you are on a blood thinner, this can interfere.
4. Mixing Herbal supplements with conventional medications
You should let your pharmacist and doctor's know about any herbal supplements you are taking. Example: St. Johns Wort could be very dangerous with antidepressants and Ginseng can interfere with Diabetes medications
5. Taking more than one medication for the same problem (OTC and/or prescription)
BROWN BAG YOUR MEDICATIONS!
Take all of your medications including herbal supplements to your doctor or pharmacists to have them check to make sure they are all safe to take together. Many people are taking medications that have ingredients or chemicals that have been removed from the shelves and they don't even realize it. DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOUR PHARMACY OR DOCTORS ARE CHECKING YOUR MEDICATIONS WHEN THEY WRITE OR FILL YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS!!!
I hope you will find something that I have posted useful...if not for you, someone that you love. Please share this with others. I will be posting more as soon as I have time to watch more episodes.
No comments:
Post a Comment