Sunday, October 18, 2009

CRAZY night!

Alan and I were EXHAUSTED last night when we got in bed about 11:30 pm. It felt like it had been the longest day ever and I couldn't wait to close my eyes...then the phone rang. It was Alan's work cell phone. It was not a number that he recognized so he let it go to voicemail. About a minute later he checks his voicemail and it is a guy (had the wrong number) who sounded incredibly distraught and suicidal. He was leaving a message for his girlfriend (or so he thought) who would not answer is call for whatever reason. After listening to the message, Alan and I were both worried so I told Alan that I thought he needed to call him back. (We don't know this person and have never met him...he dialed Alan's number by mistake) He doesn't answer so Alan leaves a message for him telling him to call back if he wants to talk and that he is worried about him. Alan tries to call him a few more times and he finally answers. The guy sounds very upset and apologizes for calling the wrong number so late. He hurries to get off the phone with Alan and as he says good-bye, he is crying. We didn't really know what to do, but we felt that it was serious and suicide wasn't just a threat. Alan tries to call him back again and gets no answer. He leaves another voicemail telling that guy to please answer and that he (Alan) cares and will listen. The guy calls back and leaves another voicemail. He explains that he was in a car accident 10 years ago (at this point we are assuming he is addicted to pain killers and are worried that he will overdose) and he has done some things he is not proud of. He went on to say that he caused his mother to have a nervous breakdown and he felt he was to blame for a lot of bad things. He said he was ready to end it all. He thanked Alan for caring about him enough to call back and that no one had ever cared enough about him and so on. Of course Alan tried to reach him again and was unsuccessful. We did get one more voicemail from him. He said that was nice of Alan to worry and care, but he talked to the Lord and that was the only option he had. That was the the last contact we had with him. He turned his phone off and Alan and I didn't know what to do. I called the police department and started explaining what had happened and they put me on hold for at least 10 minutes so I hung up and called 911. The 911 operator got lots of info from me (unlike the girl at the police station) and she was trying to trace his cell number. She connected me back with the police station and I told the whole story. The only info I had was his cell phone number. Anyway 911 was working on the trace and I was anxious to hear how things were going to work out. I called back about 2:30 this morning and the girl at the police station hadn't heard anything yet. I called back this morning around 8:00 and the girl (different girl) said that it had been resolved (but I wasn't too convinced that she even checked on it). I hope everything is ok and that maybe that guy will seek counseling or something. I don't know this person and will probably never know what actually happened, but I hope today is a new day for him. Please say a prayer for him...he needs one!

No comments: