Saturday, September 5, 2009
Another Recipe!
I just love to make things! Anybody out there ever seen "18 kids and Counting?" Well, I just love that show! I am fascinated with it...I guess b/c they are so wholesome (and some would say crazy for having so many children). I would never want that many kids but hey, they are taking care of them and not living off the government like Octomom. Anyway on one of the episodes they were making thier own laundry detergent to save money. I have been saying forever that I was going to do that. I told my mom and she was like "Yeah, make it and then we can share!" Anyway I was doing some research and found out that this homeade stuff is actually better than the store bought.
All you need is a bar of soap, Borax, and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT BAKING SODA and NOT A&H LAUNDRY DETERGENT!) Well, I haven't been able to find the Arm & Hammer washing soda (I know of one place that probably has it, but they were closed today). It can be ordered online, but I'm impatient and wanted it now. The washing soda is pure sodium carbonate (not bicarbonate). I found something at Wal-Mart that is 100% sodium carbonate and is used for swimming pools to change the ph balance. I read on the internet that it works just the same. Anyway I made the stuff and I am trying it out...on Alan's clothes first! LOL! Just kidding...I am doing a load of whites and I'm not at all worried that my detergent will ruin anything!
Here is the recipe:
Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value
4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar (I used Dial b/c that's what I had)
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment