Saturday, August 29, 2009
Spaghetti Sauce recipe
I have to give credit where credit is due...this is my parent's recipe but I have tweaked it just a little. My parents are both wonderful cooks and rarely eat anything from a jar, or package, or can. They make their own sauces, bread dough, marinades, etc. My mother has NEVER used spaghetti sauce form a jar and has never served her family Hamburger Helper. She just wasn't that kind of mom. (Although I must admit there were times growing up that I wished she would just make us Hamburger Helper...like when she made stuffed bell peppers. I liked the stuffing, but not the peppers. Mom and Dad would make us eat them and they were yuck!) Anyway I am thankful that my parents cared about us enough to make us good, healthy food. Thanks, Mom and Dad!
Ok, here is the recipe (my version. I never make it exactly the same. Measurements are not exact... you just have to taste it along the way and make adjustments as you go.
In a large pot add the following:
1 28 oz can of tomato puree
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
(I puree my tomatoes in my blender b/c I hate biting into chunks of tomatoes...I know, I'm too picky!)
salt
pepper
Italian seasonings
Parmesan cheese (fresh grated is the best!)
I like to roast my vegetables and it adds lots of flavor. I also add extra veggies in for a healthier sauce.
Veggies
1 onion (this one is a must)
1 green bell pepper (this one is a must)
1 large carrot
1 zucchini
1 bunch of garlic
Any other veggies you have in the fridge
Cut all veggies the same size. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat veggies with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut the root end off of the garlic bunch. Do not remove cloves. You can squeze them out easliy after they roast. Cook until veggies are tender. Becareful with the green bell pepper. If you cut it too small, it will burn before the other veggies are tender.
After removing veggies from the oven. Let them cool for a few minutes. Squeeze the garlic out into a blender or food processor. Add the other veggies to the food processor. Puree them. (I hate chunks in my sauce so I puree until it is completely smooth.) Add this into the pot with the tomaotes. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Once everything is combined well, start tasting the sauce and adding more seasonings if needed. Add them slow...especially the salt. You can always add more, but can't take it away. Keep adjusting until you like the way it tastes. You can add a few tablespoons of ketchup of needed. Also, parmesan cheese makes a HUGE difference in the taste. Also if you want a meat sauce, brown the meat, rinse and drain it, then add it in. This sauce makes a lot and freezes very well. I make a lot at once and freeze it so that we always have it on hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment