Thursday, August 20, 2009

Our days here are numbered!

This morning started off pretty sad for me. Alan had to go back to work today. He was working in Mountain Brook and since that is not too far from where we are staying, his co-workers swung by here to pick him up. I cried...it was so sad to go to the hospital by myself. I was lonesome at first, but JB and I had some great bonding time. Although I did catch her looking around the room looking for her daddy. Alan will be working late tonight so he will ride back with his co-workers and stay at our house (which I miss so much!) tonight. He will get up and go to work tomorrow and then come straight over to B'ham to be with me and Jane Baird this weekend. Tomorrow night can't get here fast enough! Ok, back to the hospital stuff... Jane Baird is doing fabulous! She has been tolerating her feedings perfectly. Dr. Georgeson came in today while I was there just to check in on her. We discussed how far she has come since that terrible Sunday when she aspirated into her lungs. He said that she had a remarkable recovery and I would have to agree! Jane Baird just smiled at him the whole time he was in the room. I guess that was her way of thanking him for saving her life 3 times already! We will be discharged very soon. It probably will not be this weekend. Dr. Georgeson said he will be out of town this weekend and wouldn't be back until Monday so I am assuming that he will check her over once more before we leave. I'm thinking we will be out of Children's by Tuesday! We are so excited about that!!! We had a special visitor today from our church. Mrs. W came by to visit with us. We were glad to see her. Last time she came to visit Jane Baird was away having her esophagram so we missed her by a few minutes. We were excited that she came back! Jane Baird was wide awake and was her usual smiling self. Mrs. W also left a special gift for Jane Baird. Thank you so much, Mrs. W. It's beautiful! Wow...What a journey we have been on the past month! Looking back on it, I can't believe we are still sane! Despite the very sad moments, it has been a wonderful experience for us (I know that sounds crazy, but that's how I feel). We witnessed the most amazing and wonderful miracle right before our eyes--the healing of our beautiful daughter. Jane Baird is an amazing little baby and she has taught her mommy and daddy so much. We thank God every day for choosing us to be her parents. I will have more time to update this evening. I am not going to stay at the hospital too late tonight b/c I am by myself and don't feel safe walking through the parking deck alone. Thankfully someone very special to me (I won't tattle) let me borrow a handicap parking thingy to hang on my mirror so that I could park near the entrance while I'm by myself (Sorry if anyone is offended by that...I have a little baby that needs her mommy so I have to take care of myself and stay safe. Please don't turn me in! I promise not to use it if I don't absolutely need it.) More to come this evening... Ok, I just got back from the hospital (evening shift). I spoke with Nicole, our nurse practitioner. She spoke with Dr. Hansen earlier today and found out the criteria for going home....Jane Baird has to be off all pain meds (which she is) and no more Versed (she hasn't had any since last night). She is no longer on TPN. She has worked her way up to about 3.5 oz of formula which is almost where she was before she got sick (she was taking about 4oz). In order for her to be discharged, she has to make 2 consecutive weight gains. (She has had weight loss 3 consecutive nights.) Nicole warned us that b/c she is just now back on a normal amount of formula, she may have another weight loss. She didn't want us to be disappointed tomorrow if there was a loss. Becuase the discharge planners don't work on weekends, Monday will be the earliest we can leave. That's ok because Alan and I have to have this apartment spic and span before we turn in the key. That includes washing all sheets, blanket, and towels. We also have to go to Wal-Mart and buy replacements for the things that we used such as garbage bags, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, shampoo, etc. We have a ton to do this weekend to get ready. We also have to pack up JB's things and load them into the car. If you haven't seen her room, it is packed with all kinds of things we brought from home. Her most beloved pocession is her flatscreen tv. We will make sure we pack that up last so she can enjoy it as long as she is in that room.

1 comment:

ashley&christy2001 said...

Oh I am so telling on you,for parking in a handicap place that is just wrong!!Okay I am just kidding, you got to be smart, there is too much bad stuff in this world. I would do the same. JB looks great her color is so beautiful, what a blessing that she is on the road to recovery.