Friday, April 17, 2009
Back to the Doctor
Last night Jane Baird kept me awake all night with her loud, noisy congested breathing and a small cough. I was really concerned b/c it seemed to get worse as the night progressed. I called the pediatrician first thing this morning and made an appointment. The nurse weighed her and she weighed 7lbs 9oz so she had gained 3 ounces since Monday. She also got her temperature taken (in her rear) and she didn't even squirm. We saw Dr. Wamack today (Dr. Farr was not in today). He listened to her breathe for several minutes and examined her and thankfully she is fine. The noisy sounds I have been hearing are normal for a baby who has been intubated recently. That is also the cause of her weak sounding cry. He gave a very thorough explanation but I couldn't reiterate all he said if I tried.
I also asked Dr. Wamack about a strange incidence that happened the other night: I noticed that Jane Baird was chewing and gagging on something. I jumped up to check on her and she had nothing in her mouth except saliva. I thought it was strange so I kept watching. The next thing I knew she was blowing enormous bubbles from her saliva. I'm talking huge bubbles! The largest one was the size of a half dollar. Her mouth isn't even that big when she yawns. Anyway she was still kind of gagging so I took my hand and tried to wipe her mouth off and noticed that her saliva was so thick that instead of wiping it off, I smeared it on her mouth and across her cheek. I was very upset because I knew that wasn't normal. That night I didn't sleep much. I turned the light on every time I heard her move. I was a nervous wreck! I kept the blue suction thingy right beside me to suction her if I needed to.
So anyway I told this to Dr. Womack and he had a very simple explanation. That wasn't saliva in her mouth--it was her stomach fluids which are thick and should be clear (if she hasn't had a bottle recently). I was told by her surgeon at Children's Hospital that she would probably have acid reflux and thus would need to take medicine for it but I didn't think she had it because she never spits up (she has only 3 times in the last 3 weeks and it wasn't even that much). So I am relieved to know what is going on with that. It all makes since now.
After leaving the doctor's office Jane Baird and I did a little shopping. I know what everyone is thinking--what a terrible mom. She shouldn't have that newborn out and about shopping. Relax people! We just went into one store and didn't stay too long. She was covered up completely with the car seat canopy and the stroller canopy so no one could even see her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So glad everything is ok. And you are not a terrible mother for taking your baby girl shopping. Every mother does things differently; it is totally your decision because you are the parent (those other people had or will have their chance with their own). We took Logan out to eat when be was less than a week old because we were stir crazy and I'm sure lots of people thought we were awful:) You are a wonderful mom, so don't worry about those naysayers.
Post a Comment