Friday, May 28, 2010

Pancake Breakfast

Today was our first full day of summer break. Jane Baird and I celebrated with a pancake breakfast. Jane Baird has never had pancakes. As a matter of fact, she is still eating stage 2 and some stage 3 baby foods. (She is still unable to chew her food and has some texture issues...she's seeing an occupational therapist for this) She eats yogurt for breakfast every morning and loves it. I can tell that she really wants to be eating what we are eating and we share and let her experiment, but she usually ends up gagging or choking. Anyway I cut her pancakes up really small and the syrup kind of made them a little soggy and tender. She loved the taste of the pancakes (I used my mom's recipe and it's the best!) but she didn't like the texture and she didn't want it on her tongue. After a few tries, she started liking them a little more and more. By the time she was finished, we had pancakes everywhere! I wasn't sure how much actually made it into her belly, so she had her usual yogurt too. She loves feeding herself these days. I'm letting her do that more and more however, the pureed food can easliy be slung across the room, so Alan or I feed her when she is eating those types of foods. Also once she is given power of the spoon (or fork), it cannot be taken from her! We went through that earlier and we both ended up with spaghetti all over us! Ready for some pancakes! Silly girl! Her first bite... Gagging! She is so silly :) What a face! Gagging again... Now its bath time! We ate lunch with my mom at Jim N Nicks today. I ordered Jane Baird a side of mashed potatoes thinking it would be a little bowl...this is what was left over after she had eaten. This is what I found when I walked into the kitchen! She loves to sit in things. She always climbs into her The occupational therapist came to see Jane Baird this morning. She is going to help Jane Baird with her eating. Karen is super sweet. Jane Baird loves her. She will be coming to our house throughout the summer and once Jane Baird is back in school, she will go to her preschool to work with her. I'm excited for Jane Baird to be able to eat like other kids her age. This feels like the final step to leaving her medical past behind us and taking a step forward into normalcy!

No comments: