Thursday, August 27, 2009

I did it!

I decided that today was the day...I was going to begin my 5K training. (I have never stuck to any healthy plan that began on a Monday. Wednesdays and Thursday are best for me:) I got on the treadmill at 9:00 and began... I'm doing the couch to 5K plan. (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)Here is how it works... Week 1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Week 2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Week 3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following: Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds) Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds) Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes) Walk 400 yards (or three minutes) Week 4 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes) Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds) Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes) Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes) Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds) Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Week 5 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes) Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes) Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Week 6 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes) Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes) Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes) Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Week 7 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Week 8 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes) Week 9 The final week! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). I am not quite sure that I can do all of this in 9 weeks. It may take 18 weeks but I am determined to do it. If my 60 year old dad can run 4 or 5 miles a day, I know that I can do it! Well I accomplished my goal for today and NO, I didn't cheat at all. In fact I walked an extra minute. Yay, me! The instructions for this couch to 5K plan say to do this 3 times a week, but I know that I need to be exercising 5-7 days per week. I may alternate this with a workout video or something. I was going to put up a BEFORE pic and then later I was going to put up an after....I chickened out! Anyway just take my word for it, I look really bad! I would like to encourage anyone who wants to get healthier to do this plan with me. Maybe we can encourage each other along the way and maybe even run our 5K togehter. Also, thank you for the comments! Beleive it or not, they really helped me to get started this morning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found the information on the Couch to 5. Now I just have to do it too lol.

Meredith said...

I think I'm going to do well with this...if I can stay motivated!

Grethel said...

You can do it!!!!.. I'm so happy for you!!!.. as a motivation think pictures with your baby girl!!!.. ;)