Saturday, August 1, 2009

Eyes wide open!!!

Jane Baird is doing well. She still has a lot of crud in her lungs that she is trying to get out. The nurses are having to suction her quite often. She may be extubated as soon as Monday. Jane Baird is ready to be extubated and is breathing on her own over the ventilator already. The only reason she is still on the vent is b/c the ET cuff is inflated and positioned in the fistula repair site to block air and to prevent further complications. The team of surgeons will come by on Monday and decide if they are ready to remove the ET tube and deflate the cuff. They will most likely order a bunch of tests before making a decision. Once it is removed, it cannot be easily be put back into place outside of the O. R. The plan is still to wait 2 weeks before deciding whether the fistula has healed on its own or whether to operate again. Of course we would rather Jane Baird not have to endure another operation, but we want the problem fixed no matter what it takes. We are praying so hard that it will heal on its own. Jane Baird is now fully awake but groggy. She threw a huge fit today when the nurses were trying to fix her ART line. Because of the tubes down her throat her cry is completely silent, but you can see it all over her face! A couple of pictures of JB with her eyes open!

3 comments:

Candy Jones said...

Oh Meredith, I am so happy that Jane Baird is doing so much better. That is great she has enough strength to pitch a little fit and I am loving that she is stylin' with her hairbow. We are continuing to pray for her. Together every night and I think about her all through the day and pray then.

Mrs. Craven said...

Meredith, I am just now reading your blog and finding out about your precious little girl. I am so sorry that your family is having to deal with this. It is so hard to have a such a sick little one but you are right, God does love you all and there is a reason. Maybe the strength and faith that you are showing will be a help to another or encourage others that may be dealing with or will be dealing with something similar. You never know how many lives you can touch through the difficulties that life throws at us. You and JB are in my prayers. She is beautiful. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. It's true what they say about being a parent 'it's having your heart walk around outside your body' and when things are out of our control it is scary. Remember who is in control and stay strong. She is not only precious to you but to our Father in Heaven. He will take care of her and your family during this time. I hope you get to see those little eyes open alot and that she stays strong and pitches as many little 'princess' fits that she wants! You are such an encouragement to me in your attitude during this time. Thinking about you (even though I haven't seen you in such a long time) - :)Brandi (Woodley) Craven

ashley&christy2001 said...

So wonderful to see her beautiful little eyes, that is fantastic news. I am praying for her speedy recovery.