Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jane Baird Update

We went to Children's Hospital this morning to spend the day with our sweet baby girl and were very surprised to see that her breathing tube had been removed. She looked so much better today than yesterday. She had not needed any pain meds either which was really good. Alan got to change his first diaper today (neither one of us has had that opportunity yet) and did a great job! Right before the midday visiting hours were about to end the nurse said it was ok if I held her. (I was not expecting to be able to hold her for a few more days and I had very little time holding her when she was born.) I was sooooooooo excited!!! She felt so good in my arms and opened her eyes to look at me almost the entire time I held her. We went back to the hospital for the evening visiting hours and found out that while we were gone Jane Baird had some difficulty with her breathing. The nurses are doing everything they can to keep from putting her back on the breathing machine. She was given some medication to help her and she was also x-rayed. Her x-ray came back fine. She was also given some pain meds because she was starting to hurt a little. She was also given breast milk in addition to her IV fluids for the first time today. Unfortunately she is not digesting it (the nurse said this was probably due to stress) so they are going to lay off for a day or so and then try again. I am still pumping and freezing so that she will have it when she is ready for it. Overall Jane Baird is doing well. We called tonight at midnight and she was the same as she was when we left at 10:00. I am hoping that tomorrow when we go she does not have a breathing tube. We appreciate all of the prayers. Please continue to pray for her--she has a very long road ahead of her.

1 comment:

Grace Williams said...

I am so glad they let you hold her!!! I know you just melted when that beautiful baby girl looked up at you. I love the pictures; she looks so happy and comfortable in your arms. Thanks so much for the update-I am so glad you have a praise report already.